Big Jump In New Covid Cases (43,654) In India Day After 4-Month Low: Key Points
New Covid Cases: India recorded 43,654 new Covid cases, 47 percent higher than yesterday when fresh cases dipped below 30,000 for the first time in nearly four months. The positivity rate stands at 2.51 percent. 640 deaths take India’s tally to 4.22 lakh.
New Coronavirus Cases: In the last 24 hours, Kerala recorded 22,129 fresh cases.
Here are the top developments on Covid cases in India
1.The government on Tuesday sounded a warning against any sort of laxity. “The pandemic is far from over… globally. We have to be careful… We may be tired, but not the virus, this is an alert for us,” said Dr. VK Paul, chairman of the National Expert Committee on Vaccine Administration.
2. Stressing on the need to step up vaccination, Dr. VK Paul further said: “While no vaccine has a 100 percent guarantee, all vaccines, even our own, show that the chance of serious disease is nearly eliminated. The chance of death is nearly eliminated.”
3. In the last 24 hours, Kerala recorded 22,129 fresh cases. The surge in Kerala is worrying even as other states have seen a considerable drop in infections. “Up to 50 percent of new cases are coming from Kerala and Maharashtra. The fatalities are low because their health infrastructure is good,” a source in Health Ministry has said.
4. After much criticism over the center’s statement in parliament that ‘no deaths have been reported due to the shortage of oxygen by states’, sources have said the government has now sought data from states and union territories. The data is expected to be presented in the parliament before the end of the monsoon session next month.
5. The Supreme Court on Tuesday slammed the Bengal government over the data for children orphaned during the COVID-19 lockdown in Bengal. “Do not make irresponsible statements and do not give excuses. Understand the urgency of the situation,” the court said.
6. India is expected to clear a vaccine for children in a matter of days, Prime Minister Narendra Modi was told on Tuesday at a meeting of BJP MPs at parliament.
7. According to the Health Ministry, the country’s active caseload this morning stood at 3,99,436 with active cases constituting 1.27 percent of the cases recorded since the beginning of the pandemic.
8. So far, 44.61 crore vaccine doses have been administered as the government aims to vaccinate all adults by the end of this year.
9. While Maharashtra recorded 6,258 fresh Covid cases, Karnataka reported 1,501 cases and Tamil Nadu recorded 1,767 infections.
10. Worldwide, 19.53 crore Covid cases have been recorded so far, and over 41 lakh deaths. India has recorded 3.14 crore total cases and the US has reported 3.14 crore cases.