Try these 5 relaxing tips to sleep like a baby tonight: Sleeping well makes sure our body is healthy and that we feel fresh. If a good night’s sleep is seeming elusive, put these tips to the task.
“Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” This famous quote by Benjamin Franklin stands true for everyone.
If we get a good and sound eight hours of sleep, we feel fresh and energized the next morning. However, due to the covid-19 pandemic, we’re all going through changes that are affecting our sleep patterns.
To have a good sleep, your mind should be free of stress and tension. With most of us staying indoors due to the coronavirus lockdown, we are glued to social media to connect with the rest of the world. Moreover, we are constantly checking news updates regarding the prevailing situation around the world. This is making our minds more stressed and tense.
Poor sleep is detrimental for brain function, has negative effects on hormones, and can hinder performance in daily life. Research has shown that it can also cause weight gain and increase the risk of disease in adults as well as children.
Good sleep, on the contrary, can help one lead a healthier life. It helps boost immunity and keep the body strong to fight against several infectious diseases.
What do my habits have to do with it?
Some people lay in bed staring at the ceiling in part due to chronic pain, depression, medications or other substances that can interfere with sleep. When you treat those issues, often it will naturally help improve your ability to sleep.
However, despite addressing other medical or psychiatric conditions, sleep difficulties often will persist. People who have chronic insomnia worry excessively about sleep and the effects of insomnia. They also become more and more agitated and tense as bedtime gets closer.
“If you’re very worried about getting good sleep, you can put a lot of effort into getting sleep and have a lot of anxiety at night,”. “This makes you more alert and can keep you lying in bed wide awake.”
Here are 5 relaxing tips to sleep like a baby tonight:
1. Avoid caffeine late in the day: If you consume caffeine late in the day, it may activate the nervous system and restrict the body from naturally relaxing at night.
According to the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, caffeine taken six hours before bedtime has important disruptive effects on sleep.
2. Minimise irregular or daytime naps: Short power naps are quite beneficial to enhance productivity. However, long and irregular napping during the day can have an impact on sleep at night.
The body tends to get confused if one sleeps long during the daytime. According to a study conducted by the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California, frequent napping appears to be associated with lighter night sleep and increased sleepiness during the day.
3. Prepare your bedroom for a good night’s sleep: Proper ventilation, less noise, external lights, and furniture arrangements in your bedroom are some of the key factors that enable you to sleep well. Studies have shown that noise from the outside like traffic sounds, may contribute to poor and unsound sleep.
4. Avoid eating late in the evening: Scientists say that people should eat at least three hours before going off to bed as it gives time to the food to get digested and avoids one from feeling uneasy in bed.
5. Take a shower: One of the best ways to have a good night’s sleep is to have a relaxing bath or shower.
According to the European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, taking a bath before bed enhances sleep quality, particularly in the elderly. It also helps if you can’t put yourself to sleep.
If, in case, you do not wish to take a full bath at night, just wash your feet in hot water as it will help you relax and enable you to get a deep sleep.