‘Charanjit Singh Channi‘, the next CM of Punjab, was neither the agreeable choice of the Congress Legislature Party nor the Congress high command’s. His selection as the state’s first Dalit CM assumes as the dissension-river Congress faces the Assembly polls within five months.
The Dalit voters comprise 32 percent of the state’s electorate. A Congress leader in Punjab said, “It is a message that while all other parties are announcing that Dalits would be given important positions if they form the government in 2022, we have already done that.”
A Brief at Channi’s Political Career And Personal Life
- He is a 3-time MLA and represents Punjab’s Chamkaur Sahib Assembly constituency.
- Channi is a member of the Ramdasia Sikh community.
- On 16 March 2017, he was named to the Amarinder Singh cabinet.
- Charanjit Singh served as Leader of Opposition in the Vidhan Sabha from 2015 to 2016.
- Charanjit Singh Channi also served as the Municipal Councilor for three terms and then became the President of Municipal Council Kharar for two terms.
- In 2007, he got elected to the Punjab Vidhan Sabha.
- No criminal cases against Channi. However, he was accused of sexual harassment by a woman IAS officer for allegedly sending an inappropriate text in 2018. The officers did not file a complaint.